Monday, August 12, 2013

Grandma Sweet

My Grandma Sweet passed away April 15, of this year. She had been very sick for a long time, especially the last 8 months of her life. She was on Hospice and had her really good days, and her really bad days. My Mom and Grandpa took amazing care of her, and I've never seen my Grandpa do so much for her. My Dad came to my house the morning of the 15th and told me Grandma didn't have much time left. I threw my shoes on and went to her house with my Dad. She had already passed away when we got there. But I think she would have wanted it that way. It was especially hard on my Mom. She had been there all morning and left for just half an hour to run some errands. I truly believe she waited for my Mom to leave, before she would let herself die. We all miss her so much, but we're grateful for all the years we've had with her.
The viewing and funeral were like a family reunion. Circumstances were sad, but my Mom's side of the family is so spread out, that it was really nice to see every one we only see every few years or so. My Grandma was the only one from her family to be a member of the LDS church. So it was hard to see how devastated some of her family members and friends were, thinking that she's gone forever. It's so comforting to me to know we'll see her again.
It was a hard week, but we had a lot of good experiences. My Mom, Aunt Lora, my sisters Candace and Shanna, niece Kyarra, and I dressed Grandma and did her hair and make up for the viewing. It will always be a special memory of mine, and I know she was there with us. My Grandpa has tried to stay busy working and traveling to visit family. I think it's good he has his little dog Toby-whom my Grandma claimed she absolutely hated!

No comments: